It can be easy to get caught up in our routine that it is easy to lose intention in our actions.
Everything is energy. We are affected by energy in all ways, always. Lack of energy can also have an affect on us.
It may sound silly to create a ritual for skin care, but I have found the more intentional I am in my day-to-day affairs, the more magic I invite into my life.
I am so excited to share it with you!
This may appall or shock you, but I only recently started washing my face in the morning and at night—every day.
For the past three years, I’d wash my face with my bar soap in the shower and then slather coconut oil on it and call it a day. There was no room for magic here.
When I decided it was time for me take better care of myself, I made washing my face in the morning and at night part of my routine (truth, I never had a routine before either). I even purchased a spray toner, which I just learned balances the pH of your skin and prepares your skin to receive the moisturizer. I also bought a day cream and a night cream.
Yes, there is a difference.
The night cream is heavier and more moisturizing. As you sleep, your skin heals, so it needs a little more assistance at night than in the morning.
After a week, my skin started to glow and is quite silky smooth.
This ritual is something I created for myself and thought it would be something great to share with you. I actually look forward to washing my face–something I have always seen as a chore. Not only has my skin been glowing after bringing this into practice, but I do feel more energy. I feel more love for myself as I am taking time when I wake up and before I go to bed to care for myself.
Here’s what you need:
- Face Wash
- Face Mask
- Personalize your skin care for your skin type. If you are unsure of your skin type, Google will help you discover if you are dry, oily, or combination. Make sure you purchase the appropriate skin care products for your exact skin type. I strongly recommend keeping your skin care products as natural as possible. Your skin will absorb anything it encounters into your bloodstream within 27 seconds. Harsh chemicals will strip your skin of its moisture barrier creating more repair work for your skin. I use Weleda which I have found to be affordable as well as natural.
- Find the temperature you find most comfortable. In the morning I prefer cooler water than I do at night. Wet down your face and apply your cleanser.
- In the morning, imagine the cleanser as washing a new canvas. As you wash your face, say silently, “May I soften my features and wear a smile across my face. May I not hold any tension in my face.”
- In the evening, imagine the cleanser as washing away the stress of the day. As you wash your face, “May I let go of the contents of today. I give gratitude to each moment of the day. I ask for peaceful and blissful sleep.”
- Pat your face dry and apply your toner. Then, with your face still moist, apply your moisturizer.
- Look at your beautiful face in the mirror and pay yourself a compliment.
- In the morning, you can boost yourself with saying something as, “You’ve got this! You are going to accomplish exactly what you need to accomplish.”
- In the evening, you can pat yourself on the back by saying something as, “You did your best today. I am so proud of you!”
- As for the exfoliator, perform this once a week and finish it off with a facial mask. I like to do this on Sundays. I imagine that I am releasing everything from the previous week on deeper levels as the exfoliator removes debris under the top layer of skin and the mask pulls out the impurities.
I have noticed an increase in my self esteem from this practice. The morning and evening pep talks are really what do the trick for me.